1. Introduction Letter

Abstract

In this introduction letter I’ll talk about my back background and my interest in science. I will also speak about goals that I have this semester as a CCNY student, and goals that I want to accomplish outside of the semester like volunteer work and motivations that I have. I will also address my future goals in the field of science as an occupational therapist.

Mayra Palencia

666 Wool Ave

Franklin Square, NY 11010

Mayraxp12@gmail.com

September 8, 2019

Michael Coppola

Department of English

City College of New York

160 Convent Avenue

New York, NY 10031

Dear Mr. Coppola:

Hope you are doing well. My name is Mayra Palencia and I am in your Writing for Sciences class. In this letter I would like to tell you a bit about myself like where I come from. The goals I have for this semester as a student at CCNY, like what I want to accomplish this semester as a Senior. I also would like to tell you about the goals I have in the future in my career as possibly an Occupational Therapist, and I would also like to tell you the goals I have outside my career field that I have been passionate about for a while.

This is my last semester at CCNY and my major is psychology. I’m the first generation in my family to attend college, and luckily, I had tremendous support from both my parents with my education. Being a first-generation college student can be challenging at times because I am learning as I go how college works like: tuition, resources offered, and more, but it also helps me appreciate school, and work hard to get to my goals. I came to this country when I was 5 years old from Colombia. My parents wanted a better life for themselves as many immigrants that come to country do. They have helped guide me through the sometimes-hectic world that is school. Even though both my parents didn’t attend college, they know how valuable it is and have pushed me to keep striving for what I want to do, even when sometimes I feel like the finish line is getting further away from. I recently changed my major from Biology to psychology because one psychology class changed my perspective on it, it made me appreciate how the mind works, and how little we know about it. My interest in psychology leans toward neuropsychology, especially how our brain makes us who we are, and why we differ from each other.

Ever since I could remember I wanted to work in any science field. As I got older my interests have changed, but I’m still very adamant about a career in the medical/science field. I believe it may be due to my parents pushing me to do what I love, but also to have a career in something that is stable. I went to LaGuardia Community College for Vet Tech. I am a huge animal lover and when I was younger my dream job was a vet, but it wasn’t for me. I love helping animals, but I cannot see an animal suffering. I can’t even see an animal being neglected in movies because I start to sob uncontrollably! Which is hilarious because I know it is not real, so instead of finishing my degree to be a vet tech I got an associate degree in Health Science. My goal in life is to be able to help people in need. Since I was little I have been overly compassionate and would always try to help people whenever I could, this helped me decide to get my degree in psychology and hopefully become an Occupational therapist. My desire to pursue this career came about when a close friend of mine developed a tumor in her brain and lost functions of her mobility and speech. I want to be able to help and see the progression a patient can make after succumbing to a pathology that renders them immobile. I believe that we all are able to achieve what we want only if we work hard and discipline ourselves to reach our goal, and I would appreciate to be able to help a patient achieve that goal.

A goal that I have this semester is to do exceptionally well in my classes. I know this is probably every college students’ goal, but I did very well the last two semester and want to keep applying myself to my studies. I want to reach for A’s in all my classes and hopefully I can reach that goal. Another goal of mine is to start an internship shadowing an Occupational therapist to get more hands-on experience with patients, especially since I am the type of person that learns best when doing something. I also believe it will help me better understand different patient’s needs. We can easily read something in a textbook, but life is not always as black and white; It is colorful and moves in all possible directions. Getting to know patients and their situations will help better understand what different types of therapies can work for a patient, and this ultimately will help me as well because I will work hard to help my patients.

Another goal that I am very excited to do and hopefully be able to do after I graduate, is volunteer at a wild life conservation in Africa. I would love to be able to stay for a year, but I wouldn’t be able to be away from my partner and my cat (who is my world) for that long. I have settled to possibly stay in Africa for three months and be able to help with the conservation of animals and fauna in places that have seen a decrease of wildlife and plants due to human expansion. Being that my love and respect for animals has been a part of life since I could remember, I would like to contribute some of time to help out in that field, especially since I couldn’t fulfil 5-year-old Mayra’s dream of becoming a Veterinarian, or 18-year-old Mayra’s dream of being a Vet Tech.

Lastly, a goal that I have set for in two years is for my partner and I to save up as much as we possibly can, so we can buy an apartment. We both love NYC, it’s a concrete jungle with a lot of culture and love, but rent is very expensive, so what we could be spending on rent we can be putting towards our own home, and I believe that’s the most financially stable thing to do.  With that being said, these are some of the many goals I hope to accomplish in my life as a CCNY student, but beyond as a student. I look forward to learning how to improve my writing skills in your class, and also reaching my goal of getting an A in your class.

Sincerely,

Mayra A. Palencia